Soon after we had our daughter, I read that elderly women receive far lower Social Security benefits than men due largely to motherhood. Having just become one, I visited the Social Security Administration website. At the top of the page, they reassured me “Social Security is neutral with respect to gender.”
I proceeded to […]
Today I had great fun as a guest on The Intentional Parent TV chatting with Tina Bryson and Greg Matuskiewicz. We talked about why mothers and fathers today still end up in a tug of war over who does what around the house and who’s working harder – and most importantly we […]
When my husband and I read The Wizard of Oz to our daughter several years ago, we discovered that L. Frank Baum wrote a sequel, The Marvelous Land of Oz, in 1904 and it was included in the old book we were using so we read that to her too.
My husband ended up being […]
Tonight I’ll be leading the chapter meeting for our local Mothers & More chapter on “The 6 Biggest Money Mistakes Mothers Make.” Join us and bring a long a new or gently used purse for our donation to Elizabeth house! Here […]
In a recent post, How Stereotypes About Warmth and Competence Impact Mothers , I talked about the Harvard Magazine profile of social psychologist Amy Cuddy, The Psyche of the Automatic, which highlights decades of research on automatic stereotypes and their impact on many different groups. I promised at the end to share […]
So can you guess who said this?
“The fault line between work and family [is] precisely where sex-based generalization has been and remains the strongest. . . . Stereotypes about women’s domestic responsibilities are reinforced by parallel stereotypes, presuming a lack of domestic responsibilities for men. These mutually reinforcing stereotypes create a self-fulfilling cycle of discrimination.”
- RT @kylegriffin1: Susan Collins: "It makes absolutely no sense to eliminate federal funding for Planned Parenthood." https://t.co/0QkZvJnUo6 about 14 hours ago from Hootsuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- How Medicaid Works, and Who It Covers, via @nytimes https://t.co/Mmqcl7yPU9 about 1 day ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- #Minnesota summer sunset #nofilterneeded https://t.co/1CP1f8bOI9 about 2 days ago from Instagram ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Carolyn Hax: He’s sweet, but clueless about the division of labor https://t.co/IH6AhJpUYa about 2 days ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @PPact: Slashing Medicaid & blocking millions from care at Planned Parenthood is anything but #BetterCare. Call now to fight back! #I… about 3 days ago from Hootsuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- No one is getting that crap bill past @PPAdvocates CEO @SheriKBonner #PinkOut https://t.co/z2WEoFo8c1 about 4 days ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Board Chair @PPAdvocates and @oldgraves Board Chair @PPPSGV #PinkOut #WonderTwinPowers https://t.co/1BxG0Wqbi9 about 4 days ago from Hootsuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
Remodeling Motherhood offers fresh perspective on mothers, fathers, money, marriage and work paired with tools to remodel and improve the lives of parents and families.