In February a tweet from Fast Company magazine linking to one of their articles caught my eye, Work Smart: Conquering Your Email Inbox by Gina Trapani. Anything that promises to help me conquer the barrage of email is worth a moment to read I figured. The system seemed simple too, create three folders in your email inbox: “To-do, Reference, and Wait.” Clear your email box EVERY time you go into it by putting everything you can’t delete into one of those three folders.
Okay, this new system is working like a charm. I have modified it slightly by creating two sets of three folders, one set of three for my job and one for my personal email. But each time I check either inbox, I deal with a bunch of the email and everything else goes into one of the three folders. Then when I have say 10 minutes before a meeting, I can go to my To Do folder and plow through additional emails that need replies.
The other unexpected benefit is that it has made me more disciplined about only checking email at regular intervals in the day – rather than every 5 minutes. If I know I don’t have time – or will – to empty the box, then I don’t check. I wait until I do.
If your email inbox is so full you cringe when you open it, or if you and your colleagues/friends compete to see who has the most messages in their inbox, try this out. Let me know if it works, or if you have other systems that do!
- still a ways to go to respect caregiving as valuable apart from gender roles https://t.co/4xpEH3O8jG about 7 hours ago from Hootsuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Women across globe will suffer and die "Trump Thinks This Is Pro-Life?" @nytimes https://t.co/qIvXwwINgo about 7 hours ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- News flash to @nytimes @rweingarten @SenSanders @TomPerez Reproductive rights are not "identity politics" https://t.co/D9jTpKEHRQ about 1 day ago from Hootsuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @PPact: We #MarchForScience because lawmakers must protect access to evidence-based sex health programs. https://t.co/M7oUf8jjTH about 1 day ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @CecileRichards: .@TomPerez Access to #reprohealth has been an enormous driver of women's economic empowerment. We must fight for it. about 1 day ago from Hootsuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Bernie, There Will Be No Revolution Without Reproductive Rights @Rewire_News https://t.co/uZSziMQdpR about 1 day ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- We won't stop fighting for patients & health centers. Add your name to fight with us! https://t.co/4oeJ87Pwod #StandwithPP #CA about 2 days ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Remodeling Motherhood offers fresh perspective on mothers, fathers, money, marriage and work paired with tools to remodel and improve the lives of parents and families.