In February a tweet from Fast Company magazine linking to one of their articles caught my eye, Work Smart: Conquering Your Email Inbox by Gina Trapani. Anything that promises to help me conquer the barrage of email is worth a moment to read I figured. The system seemed simple too, create three folders in your email inbox: “To-do, Reference, and Wait.” Clear your email box EVERY time you go into it by putting everything you can’t delete into one of those three folders.
Okay, this new system is working like a charm. I have modified it slightly by creating two sets of three folders, one set of three for my job and one for my personal email. But each time I check either inbox, I deal with a bunch of the email and everything else goes into one of the three folders. Then when I have say 10 minutes before a meeting, I can go to my To Do folder and plow through additional emails that need replies.
The other unexpected benefit is that it has made me more disciplined about only checking email at regular intervals in the day – rather than every 5 minutes. If I know I don’t have time – or will – to empty the box, then I don’t check. I wait until I do.
If your email inbox is so full you cringe when you open it, or if you and your colleagues/friends compete to see who has the most messages in their inbox, try this out. Let me know if it works, or if you have other systems that do!
- @TaliOsteen @davequast @ussoccer Agreed. Part of prob is @ussoccer handle doesn't have to read USMensSoccer. It's assumed. about 5 days ago from Twitter Web Client in reply to TaliOsteen ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @davequast YUP about 5 days ago from Hootsuite in reply to davequast ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @KatieHill4CA: This is the story about the time I face a difficult choice... OUR VOICE. OUR CHOICE. https://t.co/6eIbitJt5B about 6 days ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Female lawmakers, staffers and lobbyists speak out on 'pervasive' harassment in California's Capitol @latimes https://t.co/FSh4gB78qz about 6 days ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @MartysaurusRex: @nflcommish really bruh? It's hard trying to play both sides of the fence when it comes down to injustice and your mone… about 1 week ago from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @Schriock1: This choice sends the wrong message. We've reached out to the @womensmarch organizers to share our disappointment and offer… about 1 week ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Of course it was, this stuff is always an open secret. Weinstein Company Was Aware of Payoffs in 2015 via @NYTimes https://t.co/ujOpdYeiXh about 1 week ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
Remodeling Motherhood offers fresh perspective on mothers, fathers, money, marriage and work paired with tools to remodel and improve the lives of parents and families.