Feeling anxiety in our house & all around even with jobs. How about you? A New York Times Poll Reveals Trauma of Joblessness in U.S.:
By MICHAEL LUO and MEGAN THEE-BRENAN
More than half of the nation’s unemployed workers have borrowed money from friends or relatives since losing their jobs. An equal number have cut back on doctor visits or medical treatments because they are out of work.
Almost half have suffered from depression or anxiety. About 4 in 10 parents have noticed behavioral changes in their children that they attribute to their difficulties in finding work.
Joblessness has wreaked financial and emotional havoc on the lives of many of those out of work, according to a New York Times/CBS News poll of unemployed adults, causing major life changes, mental health issues and trouble maintaining even basic necessities.
The results of the poll, which surveyed 708 unemployed adults from Dec. 5 to Dec. 10 and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus four percentage points, help to lay bare the depth of the trauma experienced by millions across the country who are out of work as the jobless rate hovers at 10 percent and, in particular, as the ranks of the long-term unemployed soar.
Roughly half of the respondents described the recession as a hardship that had caused fundamental changes in their lives. Generally, those who have been out of work longer reported experiencing more acute financial and emotional effects.
“I lost my job in March, and from there on, everything went downhill,” said Vicky Newton, 38, of Mount Pleasant, Mich., a single mother who had been a customer-service representative in an insurance agency.
- RT @TomPerez: Democrats are energized and mobilized – so we’re hiring organizers to #FlipThe6th for @ossoff: https://t.co/kU7W4UXsgI about 1 day ago from Hootsuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @TomPerez: Grateful to be celebrating Kathy Kneer's great work for @PPActionCA tonight with @kdeleon, Amy Everitt, & lots of pro-choice… about 1 day ago from Hootsuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @SSWorks: Disappointing to see @politico parrot WH talking points. SSDI IS Social Security & cuts to it clearly break Trump's promise. h… about 1 day ago from Hootsuite ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @kdeleon: #CADEM17 weekend is closing, but we begin a new chapter. Congrats to our incoming @CA_Dem leadership. Now let's move forward,… about 1 day ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @crcpr21: If you're a #Democrat or a #Berniecrat this is a must read from a first had account at #CADem17 https://t.co/g1EPcL446v about 1 day ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @sfpelosi It was defn what the room needed! about 2 days ago from Twitter for iPhone in reply to sfpelosi ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @DavidOAtkins: The battle for CA Dem Chair is being presented as a loss for Berniecrats. It's much more complicated than that: https://t… about 2 days ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
Remodeling Motherhood offers fresh perspective on mothers, fathers, money, marriage and work paired with tools to remodel and improve the lives of parents and families.